Monday, April 12, 2021

 

J is for Jameela

 

then they said

you owe it to him

he was your husband

you lived together for 9 years

i wanted to scream

not lived- survived

but what`s the point

they saw the bruises and looked away

ashamed to meet my eye

their silence mingled with my silence

was deafening

and now I have to mourn him?

sit in Iddat for a monster?


Iddat/Iddah- a period that a woman must observe  in mourning after the death of  her husband




This year, I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z  powered by theblogchatter.com

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Heart-touching words.
Sadly, many women have to go through such incidents.
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Srivalli Rekha said...

The hard realities of life. :(
Poignant and powerful.

Arti said...

Your post reminds me of the poem I wrote, 'Mohini'. And the same story repeats itself over and over again!

my space said...

@ Unknown...:-( yea...do post your blog-link next time

@Srivalli thanks
@Arti where can I read it ?

Aesha Shah said...

This is a hard reality fir so many women. Hopefully it changes soon.

Harshita Nanda said...

Oh it was so emotional. In such few words you expressed so much! Beautiful

Ira Mishra said...

Wish she could have found some way to escape sooner... 9 yrs must have been an eternity. But somehow I felt happy at the end of the post that it all ended for her finally in whichever way.. But at least it ended.

my space said...

@Aesha yes it is :-(

@Unknown- thansk..do post your blog link

@Ira Yes at least it did..

Arti said...

Arti...sharing the link to 'Mohini' here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA8Dzqas02k&t=4s