Thursday, April 22, 2021

 

S is for Shyamali

 

The maalishwali maushi smiled at her tenderly. “Don`t worry. It is just a matter of few months. I will massage and polish her skin. Besan and malai does wonders.”

Her eyes brimmed with tears.

Ma said sternly, “You better show results. You said so for Meeta`s daughter too. She is still dusky! I am not paying you for just applying malai.”

“Don`t worry. This time I will use chana dal that I will personally grind and bring.”

“And you,” she pointed at her, “you better choose another name for her. Call her Saloni. No Shweta-that means fair. Names have vibrations too.”

She nodded. She was willing to do whatever it would take to lighten the skin of her month-old daughter.


This year, I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z  powered by theblogchatter.com


6 comments:

Arti said...

Uff! This hurts because a friend shared a similar experience when her daughter (who's now in University) was born. I couldn't believe it. But I had to. When will we change Arti?

SG said...

Don't understand why people are obsessed with skin color. There are lot of girls with black skin who are so charming and beautiful.

my space said...

@Arti - it is ...and still very much around.

@SG I don`t know why? Beauty has nothing to do with the colour of the skin.

Rajeev Moothedath said...

Sad...Yet, it has got into the psyche of Indians.Just listen to the film songs and "Gori" is glorified so many times...

Ira Mishra said...

Sad... The entire cosmetics industry worth chores stands on this sadness alone!

my space said...

@Rajeev...Yes only a gori is beautiful :-(

@ Ira -Yes it does . But then we are to blame isn`t it?