Thursday, April 1, 2021

 

A is for A name


“Astha? What`s your take on Astha?”

“Meh…”

“Oh God Di! You are so difficult.”

“Listen, you don’t want to help me then just say so ok? I am not going to settle for any name just cos you can`t think of any   cool one !This is my opportunity. I get to choose my name. Can you imagine- choose your own name…I mean how liberating is that. I don’t have to be Bhavna anymore. I can be whoever I choose to be.”

“But Di who is stopping you from being who you want to be. Just by changing your name you won`t become a different person, will you?”

“Of course, I will. Imagine people calling me Myrah or Raina. I would be so so stylish and cool.”

“Di please yaar. Myrah is just angrezi mein Meera and Raina is a twisted Reena. I don’t understand why are you so hung up on this.”

“Well, you won`t ever understand so stop trying to make sense of it and google a few more names beginning with A.”

“Why only A? We can look at other alphabets too na?”

“No, we can`t. Vikas said that their Panditji has said the bride`s name has to start with A. The stars will be perfectly aligned for a happy marriage then. Panditji suggested that my name should be changed and this is such a common custom in our community. Look at Ma. Everyone calls her Deepa but all her school friends and her maternal side call her Rekha na.  It’s a tradition and so as per this tradition my name will change too. After all I am going to be new person once I marry Vikas. Now you get it? Chalo look for some names now.”

“Di, what rubbish yaar. Just by changing your name you can ensure a happy married life. I mean really which world are you living in? And why will you be a new person after marriage? Why can`t you be just you? And are you saying Vikki jiju will change as a person too? If he`s going to change then are you sure you want to be with him. Aaargh! This is so dumb.”

“I don’t need your gyaan ok. Help if you want to, else go.  I will choose my name and then be whoever I want to be. It`s so nice of Vikki to actually ask me to come up with a name I like. His Mom had apparently said Aarti-eeks I don’t want to sound so holy. Vikki is so liberal and so is his family. I mean they are letting me choose a name for myself.”

“Well, if that’s what you want from life then so be it! What about Archana? Then everyone can call you Archie-that’s like so in”

“Archie- no. Reminds me of Harry and Meghan!”

“Aradhna? Arohi? Aakriti? Amita? Amrita?”

“No too old fashioned.”

Di yaar. Ok then Ahaana? Or Aisha? Anya? Aalia?”

“No Aalia is too filmy. Everyone will think of Alia Bhatt. Hmm let me think about Ahaana.

You think I look and sound like Ahaana?”

“What do you mean Di?”

“I mean the name should suit me na. But what can Vikki call me endearingly? I mean if Vikki wants to call me out will he say Aha? or Aana .  Naah I don’t like this.”

“Di!! Let me give you a simple solution. You be who you are-Bhavna. Ask Panditji to suggest an alphabet which would be a perfect match for Bhavna and then let Vikki jiju change his name for you! Stars can be perfectly aligned from your end too, can`t they?”


This year, I'm participating in #BlogchatterA2Z  powered by theblogchatter.com 

 

 

 


8 comments:

Neha Tambe said...

haha... that's a nice solution. While Shakespeare said "what's in the name" sadly, today a lot is found in the name and many want to change their name for astrology, numerology, fame or something else.

Arti said...

Anti patriarchy wins the battle of names. Well done Arti (-eeks;).
All the best for the A to Z.
So happy to read your stories again.
https://artismoments.blogspot.com/2021/03/a-is-for-alex-and-bees-atozchallenge.html

Rajeev Moothedath said...

Nice..It was a surprise for me when I first heard about it that women were required to change their first names as well after marriage.

my space said...

@Neha yes there is a lot in the name..

@Arti-good to see you too :-)

@Rajeev Its a done thing in Sindhi community

Deepti Menon said...

That's a fun take on choosing a name, Arti! I enjoyed reading your post. All the best in the challenge! ��

Pradeep Nair said...

Names are so very personal, aren't they.
I don't think anyone has a right to judge or force someone to change another person's name.
Changing the spelling of the name is just another activity like so many other belief-triggered actions that we do.

Ira Mishra said...

Nice fun take on a tradition that I never understood the meaning of till date. Waiting eagerly to read all your stories for this A2Z.

my space said...

@Yes Pradeep And ironically we don`t get to choose our names!

@Ira-how are you Ira? Good to see you here :-)